I make this Fruit cake every Christmas and today it was time to make it again.
It's easy and delicious.
1kg mixed dried fruit
250g butter, chopped coarsely
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup sherry or 50ml bottle of Queen Brandy Essence combined with 200ml water
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
4 eggs, beaten lightly
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup self-raising flour
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1/2 cup pecans
3/4 cup macadamias
1. Line deep 22cm- round cake pan with 3 thicknesses of baking paper, extending paper 5cm above side.
2. Combine fruit, butter, sugar, 3/4 sherry or brandy essence mixture and water in a large saucepan; stir over medium heat until butter is melted and sugar dissolved. Bring to the boil.
3. Remove from heat; transfer to a large bowl; cool
4. Preheat oven to 150 C (130 C fan-forced)
5. Stir in orange rind.
6. Stir in beaten eggs
7. Then add sifted dry ingredients.
8. Spread the mixture into the pan.
9. Decorate the top with nuts.